07 September 2008

iphone notes

Anyone who sees me fairly regularly knows I'm addicted to my iPhone. It's like super glued to my hand. I'm either texting or checking an application like Facebook or I just like to hold it. But I've come to rely on the Notes application more and more. Today I was in Borders and came across a book of photographs called Suburban World. It was the photos of a local photographer who wasn't in the business to take an artistic or even particularly beautiful photographs. He took them to document the world around him, the world outside his door. Which made my mind wander, which made me write this commentary on my art:

It's not about art. It's about documenting the places that make people laugh, think, remember. It's about seeing things I'd never see through the eyes of someone who loves their town or school. Learning the history of a place I've walked past a million times or discovering somewhere I've never been. It's hearing the stories that we attach to a place and don't realize. It's about discovering my world through someone else's eyes and in turn learning more about myself. Tossing away all pretense about what I know about certain places (a dive, a high class place, expensive, cheap) and just learning. Knowing that it's not how the photo is taken that makes it perfect, it's what someone remembers about that place. It's loving to hear what comes next after "I remember when...". Everyone has their story. I just try to capture it.


No comments: