06 February 2008

adventures in googling

At work a woman who created a new business asked me what makes your site show up in searches. The truth was I used to know but it slipped my mind, so I did a quick Google search. The answer was metadata tags. Which made me think, well, I don't have metadata tags on my site. That may be why when you do a search for inkblots you get nada.

Upon further inspection, I learned that metadata tags are now almost irrelevant and it's titles that get you up there on the search.

So....I tried a few things.

Google my name, Giesla Hoelscher, and there I am, all over the place. Pretty neat.

Google Inkblots and I'm 7 pages in.

Google inkblots art, and there I am, right at the top! Weird. Same thing with inkblots collage and inkblots digital.

So here I was thinking that people couldn't find me unless they knew how to spell my name (not an easy task), but the truth is, there are just too many Inkblots titled website that it buries mine 7 pages deep. If those people that couldn't remember my website address had typed inkblots art, I would've popped up right away! Now to just get people to remember that.....ah, yet another marketing task.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Yeah, this definitely has the ring of truth - I took a card at the Oval showing but misplaced it. First I tried inkspot(s) - which is an endeavor doomed from the start, being the wrong word - then inkspot(s) MN, and gisaela (lame, I know, trying to remember the name off the top of my head). Then I tried Roseville Skating Center, Oval March 30, and something else. Gawd.
Anyway I finally found you. Do you care to read my rambling post? Who knows? Just sayin'.